A lot of you were feeling Harry Belafonte’s remark last week that Beyonce and Jay-Z have turned their back on social responsibility. Though many of you argued that Jayonce don’t have any obligation to give back to the community, most agreed that social activists they are not.
One person who obviously doesn’t agree with this claim is Beyonce herself—or her people. Today Bey’s rep sent an email to the Wall Street Journal, which was said to be “An abbreviated list of the unselfish work Beyoncé has done and continues to do.” According to WSJ:
The list included co-founding The Survivor Foundation “a multi-purpose community outreach facility in downtown Houston”; donating “100K in 2008 to the Gulf Coast Ike Relief Fund to aid Texas victims of Hurricane Ike”; performing in “MTV’s Hope For Haiti Now! Benefit in addition to making a generous monetary donation,” among many other charitable activities.
Though those efforts are certainly worthy causes, I don’t get the feeling that this was the type of social responsibility Mr. Belafonte was speaking of. As a man who has taken a stand against racism, sexism, and war, I imagine his reaction might be that anyone can throw money at an issue, the question is what do you stand for? On the other hand, no one can dictate where you donate your money or time and to what causes. The important thing is the entertainment legend’s comments at least made one half of Hollywood’s highest paid couple sit up and pay attention. I wonder what Jay’s camp has to say about all this?
Do you think the statement from Bey’s camp clears her name a bit?
More on Madame Noire!
- Golden Boys: A Final Look At Olympics Cuties From Across The World!
- Say It Ain’t So! Chad Johnson Arrested for Headbutting Evelyn Lozada
- Show ‘Em What You Working With! Video Vixens Who’ve Moved On From Shaking It Fast!
- Men Are Like Chips, You Can’t Have Just One: The 5 Boos You Need In Your Life
- The Good Guy Allergies: Why Is It That Good Guys Bore Me?
- Somebody Lied to You And Your Lacefront: 9 Celebs Who Need a Lacefront Wig Intervention
- Bajan, Baby! 10 Of Our Favorite Celebrities of Barbadian Descent (And A Few Random Surprises…)