Jada Pinkett Smith is no stranger to Essence magazine covers, but the Hollywood wife and mother isn’t just gracing the cover of the mag’s September issue for herself, she’s doing it to raise awareness for the latest task on her plate: battling human trafficking.
“When something speaks to you as brightly and as strongly as this particular issue speaks to me, you just put every resource that you have to move things forward,” she told the magazine. “That’s what we do, we move fast. It’s the entertainment business. You have to move like a rocket. We’re talking about people’s lives…”
Jada already testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee earlier this year, after being encouraged by her daughter Willow to tackle the issue. Now, she’s more than happy to use Essence‘s platform to drive the importance of the issue home—while still knocking down some nasty rumors. As the magazine states:
“Jada Pinkett Smith needs your help. Newly armed as a warrior against human trafficking — even right here in the U.S. — the Hollywood beauty is on a mission to save Black and Brown girls everywhere whose bodies are being sold against their will. She’s also been fighting another war: protecting her family from the intense scrutiny that’s part of the life of a Hollywood star. But she’s standing tall against the drama — the divorce rumors and critiques of her parenting style — and thriving.”
Are you gonna check this issue out?
More on Madame Noire!
- Somebody Lied to You And Your Lacefront: 9 Celebs Who Need a Lacefront Wig Intervention
- An Open Letter To Boob Sweat
- Why Are There So Many Daycare Facilities in the ‘Hood?
- Keep It Movin’: Why You Need To Resist The Temptation of Relationship Relapse
- LOL! The Funniest “Love & Hip Hop Atlanta” Parody Ever In Life
- Rest In Peace…Or Not: 9 Posthumous Albums We Loved, And Some We Could Have Lived Without
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of Juice