Even Oprah has been bitten by the natural hair bug. For the media mogul’s September O magazine “Makeover Issue,” Oprah left the flat irons and smoothing balm on the shelf and opted to show off her hair in “its natural state” for the first time ever, you know outside of those behind-the-scenes pre-glam squad clips and photo ops.
It’s hard to envision Oprah without the thick, luscious mane of hair she’s had for years, but inside the latest issue, which has tips on how to transform everything from your luck to your looks, she reveals she actually almost did the big chop, but was advised against it.
“I wanted to wear it close-cropped a la Camille Cosby but her husband Bill convinced me otherwise. ‘Don’t do it,’ he said. ‘You’ve got the wrong head shape and you’ll disappoint yourself.’ I took his advice,” she said.
Though Oprah took Bill’s advice against cutting off her hair to preserve a certain physical look, she said the only beauty changes that make a true difference are ”those in which something inside the receiver clicks, aligning with that which is being received. The only way to really transformation is through the mind.”
More words of wisdom from the queen of daytime talk who also added there’s still nothing like a new cut to put a little pep in one’s step.
“I even notice a change in my dogs when they get their summer cuts,” she said. “They’re friskier and livelier, feeling more themselves once the weight of the hair is released.”
Ditto for humans. The next issue of O hits newsstands August 7. Do you think a big chop would look good on Oprah?
*For the record, I don’t know if Oprah’s hair is relaxed or not which is why I wasn’t presumptuous about whether she’s really natural. At the very least she is showcasing a natural look on the cover not unlike this one we already saw of her in the past, and which she stated is not a weave, so it’s possible this is her real, unpermed hair.
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now: The Men of “I Love New York 1 & 2″
- The Duality of the Emcee or Why I Don’t Like Wale Anymore
- When Famous Stars Play Famous People: Who Killed It On-Screen And Who Was A Mess?
- Brown Girls In The Nude: Neutral Lipstick Shades for Us
- When Did “Candy Rain” Become Old School??? How I Realized I Was Getting Too Old For The Club
- Komon Ou Ye? 9 Of Our Favorite Celebs of Haitian Descent (And A Few Surprises Of Course!)
- Cute Kid Alert: The Bosh Family Do It Big In Italy, Anthony Hamilton’s Newborn, and Much More!