Somewhere Aretha Franklin is throwing a tantrum and cussing out her publicist because Mariah Carey has just officially been named the newest judge on “American Idol.” Stories swirled for a little over a week that Mimi might be joining the reality TV singing competition but the singer was mum on the rumors until today.
During the television Critics Association summer tour in Beverly Hills, Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly told reporters:
“We do in fact have one judge whose deal closed very, very recently. It’s an artist that many contestants have tried to emulate, have tried to have sung the songs, have tried to hit the notes and because it really was concluded only hours ago, our judge couldn’t be with us.”
The president then put a phone call on speakerphone and the crowd heard Mariah’s voice saying:
“I am so excited to be joining ‘Idol.’ First of all, I wanted to be there today and I wish I could’ve been there to tell you, but I think you know this all kind of just happened real quickly, so I can’t wait to get started in a couple months.”
As a hardcore Mariah fan, “Idol” may have just bought themselves a new viewer with this judge choice, I’m curious though, at what price they bought Mariah? Earlier today, reports suggested she might rake in $17 million to do the show, which would put her over the $12 million J Lo earned for her stint as a judge, and was likely a stipulation of Mariah signing on. With her tell-it-like-it-is personality, not to mention real talent, Mimi will probably make a great judge and lots of funny commentary. Hopefully she’ll get along with the rest of the panel who has yet to be named though. And I pray “Idol” hopefuls no better than to go on the next season murdering her songs. This should definitely be interesting.
What do you think about Mariah Carey joining “Idol”?
More on Madame Noire!
- Unforgettable Underground Films: 8 Black Cult Classic Movies We Love (And May Not Want to Admit)
- Figuring Out Fake Friends: 6 Signs That Your Friends Might Be Green With Envy
- Weekend Wrap Up! Willow Has Something to Say to the Critics! Brandy Wants to Babysit Blue Ivy + More
- Don’t Hate Me Because I’m Beautiful: Do You Have Pretty Girl Problems
- Almost Doesn’t Count! Celebs Who Never Quite Made It Down the Aisle”
- Baby, Bye! Celebs Who Took Their Baby Hair Too Far
- Thirsty Much? Bathroom Sink Photos & Other Sexually Charged Cries for Attention