The 19-year-old is a favorite to win a gold medal in gymnastics, which makes him one of the Cinderella stories of the games given his humble beginnings. His father enrolled him in free inner-city gymnastics lessons in 2000 when he was only seven, and that was just the beginning of his love for the sport. He recently told People magazine that he and his family have been through a lot: to keep participating in gymnastics, his family had to make special arrangements with the gyms since they struggled to pay for it, he shared a room with three brothers as a kid, and while living in the Bronx, was involved in a knife fight that almost killed one of his brothers. The family has rebounded since then and will all fly into London to see all their sacrifice and and his hard work hopefully lead to gold.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bridal Rachetness: The Most Notorious Black Bridezillas
- Couples Who Surprisingly Survived The Reality TV Curse -- So Far!
- You Are Not Alone: 15 Celebs Who Battled Depression
- Precious Padres: Celebrity Father's Day Celebrations
- It's About Time They Hooked Up! TV Couples We Were Glad To See Get Together
- Which One Are You? The Different Categories Men Put Women In
- Pass The Cucumbers: Surprising Foods With Aphrodisiac Properties
Mommy In Chief
His voice is so smooth.Read More
With Father’s Day right around the corner, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to chat with some celebrity dads about what that day means to them.Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN