I’m thinking it’s time to hang up the “American Idol” hat because no one seems to be sticking around to judge these shows for long anymore. On top of news that Steven Tyler is leaving the show and Jennifer Lopez’s own ambiguous answer on whether she’ll be back or not, word is Randy Jackson is leaving the show—as a judge at least. According to Us Magazine, the man whose been with the show from day one may be moving into more of a mentoring capacity leaving another empty seat on the judging panel that could soon be filled by none other than Mariah Carey.
A source told the magazine:
“[Show producers] think they need to freshen everything up now. They are in serious talks with Mariah and it’s very close to being a done deal, and they will move Randy into a more mentoring role.”
Mariah Carey certainly has the star power to bring viewers to the show, and it’s always great, and unfortunately rare, to see someone with talent actually judge talent. But I worry “Idol” may bite off more than it can chew with Ms. Carey. I love Mimi to the death and will STAN for her like no other but she has definitely earned her diva name. I wonder if her demands will be worth the upkeep for what would be the 12th season of the show.
That answer could ikely be yes though, because even though views have dropped to an average of about 20 million, the reality singing competition is still number one among the most-watched talent shows, including “Dancing With the Stars” and “The Voice.” It will be interesting to see who they’ll have fill those other two vacant spots on the panel if this deal with Mariah goes through. Aretha says she’s free.
What do you think about Mariah Carey joining the “American Idol” judging panel?
More on Madame Noire!
- You Stole My Steez: 8 Musicians Who People Say Got Famous Copying Other Singers
- What Are We Playing For? Why Competition In a Relationship Makes Both Partners Lose
- Good Sex, Are You Having It? The Importance of Communication In The Bedroom
- The Time I was Sexually Assaulted…by a Woman
- True Life: I’ve Done Crazy Things to Impress People…
- Wayne Brady, Bill Maher and The Problem With What Black Manhood Means to NON-Black People
- 8 Things We Want To Tell Our Potential Suitors: The First Date No No’s For Men