Stronger, Longer Hair Challenge
At last week’s BET Awards, Lala Anthony graced the carpet with the trendy and chic Fishtail Braid. This summer look is cute, chic and makes an “effortless” statement. With more than 20 years in the hair care industry working with women —-here is how you can do the trendy, Fishtail Braid at home.
How to do a Fishtail Braid
- Part your hair down the center. Beginning on the right side of your part at your forehead, twist a one-inch section of hair away from your face.
- Use a comb to separate a 1/2-inch section right below the first section along your face and twist that piece away from your face, combining it with the first piece.
- Continue adding 1/2-inch pieces along your hairline down to your neck. Use a clip or a bobby pin to hold the hair in place at the nape of your neck.
- Repeat the twisting on the left side, starting at your forehead.
- When you reach the nape of your neck, unclip the right side and hold both the left and right sides in two separate sections.
- Pull a 1/2-inch section of hair from the right section and add it to the left section. Repeat with a piece from the left section, adding it to the right section.
- Continue adding 1/2-inch pieces down to the ends and secure with an elastic.
- It’s even better if it’s messy, so pull out some strands and stretch out the braid for an intentionally undone look.
Hair Care Tips
Braid Styles are always the go-to for the summer. It makes a look very versatile throughout the months. When doing a style such as the fishtail braid, Always remember to shampoo, condition and most importantly, moisturize the hair when in braided styles.
Try it. Send us a photo of your Fishtail braid.
Follow Johnny Wright on twitter @johnny_wright
Johnny is the Celebrity Stylist to First Lady Michelle Obama and Artistic Style Director for SoftSheen-Carson Laboratories, a division of L’Oréal USA. His work has appeared in InStyle, O! Oprah Magazine, Vanity Fair, Vogue, Vogue Italia and on SoftSheen-Carson advertorial campaigns for such publications as Essence, Ebony, Jet and Sophisticate’s Black Hair.
Join the Optimum Stronger, Longer Hair Challenge! Complete the Hair Survey and share your experience in the challenge by commenting below or tweeting us @MadameNoire with the hashtag #StrongerLonger for your chance to be our weekly winner and score amazing Optimum Care products!.
We are looking for the most engaged users. Participate in the challenge, send us your questions… and we could feature YOU on Madame Noire! At the end of the challenge, three Grand Prize winners will receive a salon experience, tons of Optimum Care product, and the opportunity to serve as an Optimum Care blogger. Join us!
Feel free to e-mail us at HealthyHair@madamenoire.com