Healthy Hair 411: Get The Lowdown On The Benefits of Castor Oil
Who wouldn’t want thick, lush hair? Thank goodness for castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil. With these two, glam locks are easy to achieve.
Castor oil, which is derived from seeds in castor plants typically found in India, Brazil and China, has been used for centuries as a skin and hair softening agent due to the nutrients it contains including omega 6 fatty acids and Vitamin E. It has been proven to aid the health of hair from the inside, making it plump and more lustrous. This is due to its ability to act as a natural humectant, attracting moisture to each strand. It also coats and seals the hair shaft, creating a smooth surface. This is perfect for those nasty split ends and conditions such as dry scalp and dandruff.
You can also say goodbye to hair loss with the use of this oil. Massage it in for 5 minutes each night. The antifungal and antibacterial properties help to keep a clean scalp and prevent any unwanted loss of hair.
Want to take it to the next level? Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) has quickly become one of the most popular oils for use in hair. It is basically an unrefined version of the traditional castor oil. This means that it contains more of the original nutrients from the castor seed than the traditional type does. It is also prepared differently. JBCO is made by manually roasting and grounding the seed first, which is how it gets its black coloring. JBCO brings more nutrients to the hair follicle than the original version and is incredible for promoting hair growth as it stimulates the scalp and prevents dryness, thwarting any breakage that may occur as a result.
These two oils are very heavy, which can result in hair that appears weighed down if too much is applied. Be careful to not use a heavy hand and you’ll still reap all of the benefits.
More on Madame Noire!
- You Stole My Steez: 8 Musicians Who People Say Got Famous Copying Other Singers
- What Are We Playing For? Why Competition In a Relationship Makes Both Partners Lose
- Good Sex, Are You Having It? The Importance of Communication In The Bedroom
- The Time I was Sexually Assaulted…by a Woman
- True Life: I’ve Done Crazy Things to Impress People…
- Wayne Brady, Bill Maher and The Problem With What Black Manhood Means to NON-Black People
- 8 Things We Want To Tell Our Potential Suitors: The First Date No No’s For Men