The Way It Is: Keyshia Cole Says No More Sad Music From Her On The Next Album
Keyshia Cole really is the new version of Mary J. Blige. Everybody felt that way when the singer came out with her debut album, “The Way It Is” which played in heavy rotation on every heartbroken girl’s CD player. And just like Mary flipped the script with her music when she got married, Keyshia is doing the same with her next LP, “Woman to Woman.” The good news is she hasn’t forgotten about the ladies who still haven’t gotten to that “happy place.”
This weekend, Essence.com chatted with Keysh after her performance during the music festival and asked if motherhood and marriage have changed her music.
“It has,” she said, “because I’m in a happy place now. However, some of my fans are not. So I brought on a bunch of writers this time around… obviously I’m not in that place to write those kinds of songs.”
Good looking out. Keyshia’s subject matter isn’t the only thing that’s changed, the singer said.
“I think that I’ve grown vocally and I think a lot of the songs are touching to me.”
“Woman to Woman” isn’t the only venture on Keyshia’s plate. After her album release in the fall, her new reality show, “Family First” will debut.
“I’m a little nervous because it’s different,” Keyshia said referring to her first reality stint, “The Way It Is.”
“It’s me, my husband, my son and my mother, Frankie. My mother’s been in rehab for a while. I’m really proud of her. It’s just a different view of me and what I’ve been through. You won’t see Neffe on the show. However, I wish you would have.”
Sounds like marriage and motherhood are treating Keyshia well. Are you excited for her new album?
More on Madame Noire!
- Just a Thought, Maybe More People Would Try Online Dating If The Ads Weren’t So Corny
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha Live: He Cheated When I Was 3 Wks Pregnant, Should I Forgive Him?
- Good Sex, Are You Having It? The Importance of Communication In The Bedroom
- MN Exclusive: Tempestt Bledsoe Talks New Show, Men who Make Less & Natural Hair
- So What If I Don’t Cook? This Is For Women Who Aren’t Obsessed With What Men Want In A Wife
- Relaxed & Real, Episode 1: From Daytime To Evening
- 8 Things We Want To Tell Our Potential Suitors: The First Date No No’s For Men