Christmas day 2011, I made a vow to swear off dating and go on a “man fast” for six months. I needed a new approach-a dating overhaul if you will. I’d psyched myself up for the commitment. However, I wasn’t prepared for the backlash that I would receive from men who didn’t like my decision. I was called everything from a bitter Beyotch to an undercover lesbian man-hater. For example, at my girl’s housewarming soiree one evening this conversation occurred:
Guy:”What are you looking for in a man?”
Me: “I’m not currently looking.”
Guy:”All girls say that so men will chase.”
Guy: “so if I told you I wanted to see you again what would you say?”
Me: “I’d say thanks. I’m flattered but I’m not interested in dating right now.”
Guy: “Man, who broke your heart?”
Guy: “Just because you got your heart broken by some whack dude doesn’t mean you gotta be an ice cold Beyotch. You just need someone to knock the ‘burrr’ off it.”
Obscenities blurred together. I never contemplated murder and the headlines that would follow until that moment. My “man fast” wasn’t Steve Harvey or heart break inspired. It wasn’t born out of a “Waiting to Exhale” feminist rant. Still, the reaction of some men when they are told that “coffee is just coffee and conversation” or “a press interview is strictly business” is jaw-dropping. While some take it severely personal, others attempt to psychoanalyze you with the same lines over and over:
“You are guarded because you’ve been hurt before.
“You have too many walls.”
“I’m not like any other guy.”
More on Madame Noire!
- Did You Know They Dated? 10 Secret Lovers, Temporary Boos and Flings We Were Surprised By
- Let Me Get You Straight, Girl! Advice To The Real ‘Housewives’ Of Atlanta!
- When It Comes To Failed Marriages, Perhaps Expecting A Fairy Tale Is The Problem
- First Date, First Impression: Is It Really You?
- MN Exclusive: Jenifer Lewis On Her Favorite Role, Longevity & Playing The Momma
- Listen Up Fellas! 7 Signs SHE’s Just Not That Into You
- The Business Of Our Periods: Why Are Feminine Products So Darn Expensive?