At any given time, 90% of your hair is growing while the other 10% is in the resting phase. If the length of your hair remains the same for a long period of time, retention is most likely the issue. The ends are the oldest part of your hair. Treating your elders with care by tucking them away will keep your hair healthy, long and strong. To achieve this, try a few protective styles such as braids, weaves and buns.