By now you’ve probably forgetten about the investigation into the two Los Angeles police officers who leaked photos of Rihanna to the media after her 2009 domestic dispute with Chris Brown. The officers, Blanca Lopez and Rebecca Reyes, reportedly sent the images of the bruised and beaten Rihanna which became a media spectacle at the time to TMZ, but because prosecutors couldn’t find sufficient evidence to prove the gossip site paid the cops for the photos, they will not face criminal charges.
That decision was actually made in March but just went public in a report obtained by the LA Times. Internal investigators had obtained numerous search warrants and forensic exams of computer hard drives, phones and e-mail accounts, over the past three years but apparently came up short in terms of making anything stick. One report is said to have shown the officers received $62,000 for the pics but searches of the officers’ bank accounts revealed no evidence of a payment. Of course the cops could have had the money funneled to them in other ways but District Attorney’s office spokeswoman Jane Robison said, “You can’t go on a fishing expedition and subpoena everybody who might be related or a friend.”
Though these two may have escaped formal charges, they will likely lose their jobs at the very least. Both women are to appear before LAPD disciplinary panels in August and the department will recommend that they be fired. I would think leaking criminal evidence to the press regardless of whether these two were paid or not would be enough to warrant charges but maybe pay was the only thing that would have definitively linked them to the leak.
What do you think, should these officers have been charged?
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? Our Favorite Good and Bad Guys From “The Wire”
- Is This Real Love? How To Avoid Getting Into a Relationship That Does Not Exist
- Oh You’re a Freak, Huh? Good and Bad Ways to Surprise Him in Bed
- TLC Was Wrong, You Could Use a Good Scrub: 5 Must Have Scrubs & Exfoliants for Summer
- “The Decision,” Fake Marriages & Crispy Chicken: 9 Moments Celebs Can’t Seem to Live Down
- “Ho*s Be Winning!” 8 People Who Became Overnight Celebrities For Being Scandalous
- Peaches & Green: The Business Ventures & Side Hustles of the Real Housewives of Atlanta