You’ve probably heard of it. You might have seen it on shelves. You may have even used it on your skin. But recently in the black community, the use of coconut oil as a way to achieve healthy relaxed and natural hair has been on the rise.
Besides providing a heavenly tropical scent, it will also make your hair feel as soft as a cloud. One of the main benefits is definitely the moisturizing properties. Both chemically straightened and natural hair need moisture to continue growing and to remain strong. Coconut oil is one of the few that can actually penetrate the hair shaft and heal each strand from the inside out because it is similar to the structure of the hair. Try using it as a hair oil treatment before shampooing. Just take a handful out of the jar, spread liberally from scalp to ends and rinse after an hour. Trust me, your locks will thank you for it as they are literally transformed into a soft, shiny texture like you’ve never felt or seen before.
No more itchies! Coconut oil also has the ability to soothe irritations and minor scalp disorders such as dandruff and lice. Scoop a bit into your hands and massage onto your scalp for five minutes daily. There will be an immediate improvement in the condition of your scalp guaranteed.
Not only is coconut oil moisturizing and able to rid those pesky ailments, it’s also a proven antifungal / antibacterial. It is the only oil that contains lauric, caprylic and capric acids, which help to relieve any illnesses associated with fungi.
Just giving coconut oil a try once will have you hooked for sure. The best for hair is virgin coconut oil, which you can pick up at any local health food store or online.
More on Madame Noire!
- That’s That Ish I Don’t Like: Why I Can’t Stand When Parents Talk to Kids Like Adults
- “Ho*s Be Winning!” 8 People Who Became Overnight Celebrities For Being Scandalous
- Call Me Prejudiced, But I Only Let Black Women Do My Hair
- Noire Naturals, Episode 2: Maintaining Your Twist-Out Style
- “The Decision,” Fake Marriages & Crispy Chicken: 9 Moments Celebs Can’t Seem to Live Down
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making of School Daze
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Why Did He Just Disappear?