Let’s just say people weren’t too enthusiastic at the thought of Jennifer Hudson playing Winnie Mandela in the biopic Winnie, particularly with Terrence Howard playing her husband, South African apartheid leader Nelson Mandela. Less than stellar reviews from the screening at the 2011 Toronto Film Festival also confirmed that lack of enthusiasm but now the general public is getting a chance to make up their own minds about the film.
Winnie has been scheduled for a Fall release and a new trailer is giving us a first look at what to expect from the movie, which is directed by Darrell Roodt and follows the life of Winnie from her early childhood through to her marriage and later imprisonment of her husband. According to Soul Culture, the film chronicles her continuous harassment by the security police, banishment to a small Free State town, betrayal by friends and allies, and more than a year in solitary confinement.
More on Madame Noire!
- HALF ON A BABY: The Top 7 Ways You’ll Know He’s Ready For Kids
- Race To The Ring: Will These Women Get Their Famous Men To Put A Ring On It?
- Are You an Alpha Female?
- Let’s Talk, Ladies: Are You Afraid Of The “S” Word?
- My Story: For Colored Girls Who’ve Considered Suicide When the Law Couldn’t Protect Them From Incest
- Locs to Love: 7 Celebs With Fabulous Locs
- Noire Naturals, Episode 1: The Natural Twist Out