One of our favorite actors, Anthony Mackie, is walking in that mainstream shine he’s always deserved. Whether he’s doing theater, or in a motion picture alongside Matt Damon or Kerry Washington, Mackie always brings his talent. And we’re never disappointed. The actor, who stars in the new movie “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” (don’t scoff until you’ve seen it), recently chatted with the folks at Uptown about his career thus far, not getting caught up in the hype and why he’s not your regular heartthrob.
Check out excerpts from the interview below:
How he describes himself: Average guy. If your car breaks down, I’m your guy. If you need a heartthrob, I’m not your guy. I’m dead serious.
The difference between celebrity and artist: There’s a difference between being a working actor and being a celebrity … If you’re in this field you have to ask yourself that in the beginning and be honest with yourself. If you want to be a celebrity go after that 100 percent. If you want to be a working actor, it may mean doing a play that no one sees, but you love the craft.
On getting caught up: Everybody was like ‘This is it, dog, you’re blowing up. I bought into it thinking that my ‘Denzel time’ had come. I was left there with egg on my face.
His love for theater: It’s instant gratification. I know now that in certain aspects of my life, I’m a Slore for attention. I love to be on stage … and I love to say something and hear the audience respond. It’s a drug.
Who he wants to be when he grows up: I love where I am right now. If I grow up to be Don Cheadle, I’m very happy with that.
And acting is not all he does. Check out the video of Mackie talking about his Brooklyn restaurant and his favorite foods.
More on Madame Noire!
- Noire Naturals, Episode 1: The Natural Twist Out
- In Coolest Ish Ever News: Photographer Gives Black Barbie a Traditional Nigerian Wedding
- Snatch It Off! Celebrities Who Should Toss Their Wigs
- Controlling, Manipulative & A Crazy Beyotch: 7 Signs This Might Be You in Your Relationship…
- Are You Dealing With a Real Man Or A Little Boy? 7 Signs You’ve Got a Grown A** Man
- MN Exclusive: Teedra Moses Dishes on Her Faithful Following, Finding Love, and Rick Ross
- The Joys of Thrift Shopping: Why I Shop at Goodwill and NOT Forever 21