A tragic freak accident has sadly taken the life of a 7-year-old Lancaster, CA, boy. On Friday evening, Aaris Conway was found hanging from a tree in his backyard, and though detectives are still investigating the circumstances of his death, the boy’s mother says her son was climbing the tree and got caught up in his karate belt when he tried to jump down.
“He wanted to come outside to play basketball,” Aaris’s mother Evelyn Briggs told KTLA. “Then he climbs in the tree that [the neighborhood kids] all climb in and tragically hung himself.”
“Every minute counts,” she added. “It takes a second. I just want other parents to be aware.”
Detectives are waiting on the official word from the coroner to declare Aaris’s death an accident, but they believe that is the case. Sadly, Aaris’s brother Aaron saw his brother hanging from the tree after he and his mother noticed Aaris had gone quiet. He said he tried to save him but it was too late.
“I was trying and trying not to pour any more tears, but I can’t help it,” he said.
“He was my little brother, and I love him.”
In an interview with CBS local news, Evelyn said a neighbor called 911 while she and Aaron untangled Aaris from the tree and administered CPR and chest compressions to no avail.
“Just be careful,” she said. “Things happen so sudden.”
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of Coming to America
- Is It True That Men Don’t Want To Get Married?
- Single Black Male: Stop Giving Up the Cookies Ladies, Men WILL Wait for Sex
- Where Are They Now? Now Defunct “Making The Band” Groups: Da Band and Danity Kane
- Don’t Be His Fool, or His Doormat: Excuses Women Need to Stop Making For Men
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: Will I Lose My Femininity With My Hair Length?
- LIVIN’ LARGE! Celebs Who Made It BIG By Being BIG