By Susan J. Elliott
“Do you still love me?” “Do you want to break up?” “Do you want to get back together?” These questions and others like them are inquiries that should never be asked unless you are prepared to hear both answers.
By the time these questions are asked, the answer is never going to be good. Yet, I have counseled so many couples and continue to speak to people on a daily basis who ask these questions. The hope is that they are just being insecure and the answer will be the one they want. However, when the answer is not the one they are looking for, they exhibit behavior that is not very attractive and can be humiliating.
If you suspect that your partner does not love you anymore, is seeing someone else, or you are unsure if your ex wants to get back together and the uncertainty is driving you crazy, then, by all means, ask. Just make sure you are prepared for any answer. To not be prepared for the worst possible news is to be in denial. Denial can lead to wishing for something that you know is not going to happen.
Check out Susan Elliott’s advice for how to handle getting an answer you didn’t expect on YourTango.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- What Happened? 7 Popular Artists Who Went MIA At The Peak of Their Fame
- The Unnecessary Attack on Alicia Keys’ Body: When Bragging On Your Wife Goes Wrong
- Build-Up Ain’t Cute: 5 Things You Should Know About Dandruff
- Evening Eye Candy: Delicious Model BJ Williams
- Where You Been Kim Coles?
- Jealous? Why You Should Be At Peace With Yourself Before Entering A Relationship
- Where Are They Now? Kids From a Few of Our Favorite Black TV Shows