It’s a shame Twitter has come to this but it’s about time these Internet thugs see real consequences for their actions.
The drama started when Sherri Shepherd received a nasty tweet from Twitter user, “DaCloneKiller,”yesterday, which said:
“Somebody should drag u in a back alley and rape you.”
“The View” host retweeted the message and then sent her own tweets back to her harasser, saying:
“WHO DO I REPORT THIS TWEET TO? THIS IS A THREAT & I’M PISSED.”
“You think I should be raped in a back alley? Let’s see if the police agree w you & I took a pic of your tweet.”
“I am going 2 file a police report 4U threatening me. And so help me God, when I find out where U live, charges will follow.”
Sherri’s already spoken out about bullying on numerous occasions but now that she’s been an online victim of the phenomenon, she saw this incident as an opportunity to comment on the issue yet again.
“This type of bullying is one of the reasons children are killing themselves b/c there’s no consequences for the bully(s),” she wrote.
Oh, and in case “DaCloneKiller” thought she was lying, Sherri sent out followup tweets after leaving the precinct letting him know this situation is far from over.
“Just returned from filing a police report for this online harassment nonsense,” she tweeted a few hours later. “I will be pursuing this legally.”
Sherri added that she was told Twitter would have to be subpoenaed for the release of her harasser’s information, but as you see from her last message that is hardly a hindrance for her. This situation is going to go far beyond Sherri with a platform like “The View” and it’s about time someone figured out a way to deal with these obnoxious Internet bullies.
Do you think Sherri is right to press charges?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: Dealing With His Crazy Baby Mother & Can You Get Over Wack Sex?
- The Thrill is Gone: 7 TV Shows That Need To Call It Quits…Like Yesterday
- Giving You The Best That I Got: 7 Signs You Might Be Giving Too Much In Your Relationship
- Where You Been Cherie Johnson?
- Grieving Over a Girlfriend: 7 Ways to Move on After a Break-up…Between Friends
- Why I Think Natural Hair is Indeed a Political Statement
- Well, Hiya To You! Shouting Out Some Of Our Favorite Black Imports From Britain