Dee Jay Daniels is clearly not the little 9-year-old we remember as Michael Hughley on D.L. Hughley’s late ’90s sitcom. At 23 years old, Dee Jay is currently facing charges of street terrorism, premeditated murder and attempted premeditated murder stemming from gang activity in California.
Dee Jay, whose full name is Dorjan Lyndell Daniels, is a suspected member of the Bloods gang, and in August 2011, he and two other men allegedly stabbed 26-year-old John Joseph outside a nightclub in Stockton, CA. The attack was expected to be a rival altercation between the Bloods and the Crips.
Arrest records show Dee Jay is being held without bail in San Joaquin County Jail and he has been ever since August 6, the afternoon after the attack. Dee Jay’s next court date is tomorrow at 8:30 am but with a charge like this it doesn’t appear he’ll be going anywhere anytime soon. Who would’ve thought Michael Hughley would grow into this?
Here’s a news report from when the attack first happened last summer.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Confession: I Felt Joy Hurting a Man
- Well, Hiya To You! Shouting Out Some Of Our Favorite Black Imports From Britain
- Why I Think Natural Hair is Indeed a Political Statement
- Where You Been Cherie Johnson?
- Grieving Over a Girlfriend: 7 Ways to Move on After a Break-up…Between Friends
- What’s Black Enough For You?