If you’re a sucker for headlines like me, then you probably clicked on one of the many articles saying Queen Latifah came out during her performance at the Long Beach Gay and Lesbian Pride Parade May 19 and thought, huh? The so-called proof for this coming out of the closet was the fact that while she was MC-ing the event, she stated “Y’all my peeps, I love you!” and suddenly that meant she was admitting to being a lesbian.
Entertainment Weekly caught up with the queen to ask her about the buzz over her assumed homosexual admission and she told the site:
“That definitely wasn’t the case. I’ve never dealt with the question of my personal life in public. It’s just not gonna happen.”
She also explained the “my peeps” statement and why she was showing love to the LGBTQ community.
“To me, doing a gay pride show is one of the most fun things. My first show that paid more than $10,000 was in a gay club on New Year’s Eve in San Francisco. Tupac happened to be in town, so he came to kick it with me. This was the early ’90s. And the boys were like, ‘Take your shirt off, Tupac!’ He wasn’t doing that. But we had a blast in there.”
I’m pretty sure someone is going to think she just outed Tupac as well, but I’m going to leave that alone. The bottom line is if at 42 Dana Owens hasn’t come out to say I’m a lesbian yet, let’s just accept that it’s not gone happn.’
Do you think Queen Latifah should have let the coming out story stand or is it good she explained her comment?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Jay Electronica: The Homewrecking Other Man?
- Where Are They Now? 10 Black Actresses Who Should Have Blown Up Big…
- Sun Sets: 6 Summer Must-Have Accessories
- Get A Little Closer: Romantic Movies To See With Your Summer Boo
- MN Exclusive: Malinda Williams On Her Most Challenging Role
- Kanye I Want You To Take Your Own Advice: Drive Slow Homie
- What About Ciara? Knicks Star Amar’e Stoudemire Proposes To Mother of His Children