George Zimmerman is heading back to jail after a judge revoked his bond today. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester said that George Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, misled the court when they claimed they had limited funds because Zimmerman was a full-time nursing student. The couple failed to mention the website they’d set up for donations which is why his bond was set for $150,000 in April. But when prosecutors learned just how many Americans were sending their support for this man via paypal, they claimed Zimmerman had $135,000 available via the site and that’s why he’s been ordered to return to jail within 48 hours.
“He can’t sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond based upon those material falsehoods,” judge Lester told the court.
Prosecutor Bernie De la Rionda echoed those same sentiments despite Defense attorney Mark O’Mara’s claim that “there was no deceit” on the part of Zimmerman and his wife.
“This court was led to believe they didn’t have a single penny,” De la Rionda said. “It was misleading and I don’t know what words to use other than it was a blatant lie.”
Good thing the judge felt the same way. Zimmerman has two days to relax in the comfort of his home before re-entering into custody, and he might as well get comfortable. The trial for Trayvon Martin’s killing isn’t expected to begin until sometime next year.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Allow Me To Vent: Why I Can’t Take The Black Salon Culture
- Where Are They Now? 10 Black Actresses Who Should Have Blown Up Big…
- How Important Is Sex? My Journey Through Celibacy and Dating
- Cute Kid Alert: Roc and Roe Continue Jet-setting, Solange and Daniel, DWade’s Fam and More
- True Life: The Revenge Was Sweet…or Sour
- Kanye I Want You To Take Your Own Advice: Drive Slow Homie
- Uh, Somebody Lied to You: 8 Misconceptions About Single Black Women