Since its debut in 2008, TV One’s hour-long music series, “Unsung,” has been one of the network’s crown jewels, covering the sometimes tragic careers of an array of celebrated music acts such as Teddy Pendergrass, DeBarge, Teena Marie, Melba Moore, Alexander O’Neal, Minnie Ripperton and Phyllis Hyman. Earlier this year the NAACP Image Award-winning series earned its highest rated, most successful season to date as it started airing in 27 percent more homes via various cable carriers.
Though the African-American targeted network is set to premiere the show’s sixth season with Sly and the Family Stone on June 25, one veteran music act who viewers will never see on the series is Stephanie Mills.
The Brooklyn-bred songstress, who catapulted to the top of music charts in the 1980s and rubbed shoulders with the likes of Michael Jackson and Pendergrass after acclaimed stints on Broadway in “The Wiz” and “Maggie Flynn,” seems to have a story that’s ripe for “Unsung,” which is often considered “the black version of ’Behind The Music’ – VH1′s longtime biographical series.” But according to the sometimes reclusive Mills, the retrospective show is just not her cup of tea.
“I don’t like that show,” the Grammy Award winner revealed in a recent interview with The Huffington Post. “They have approached me quite a few times, but I [won't] do that show.”
“I’ve always been very private and at 55 I don’t want to open up my life to that,” the “Never Knew Love Like This Before” belter continued. “They’ve done Angela Winbush and they even wanted me to say something about her on that show, and I love Angela, we’re sisters. But I had to tell her, ‘I don’t want to do that.’ … I’m not that girl.”
Find out the other reasons Mills is not having it at BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: The Secrets Behind The Making of Love Jones
- “Who Gonna Check Me Boo” and Other Pop Culture Sayings Birthed By Our Fave Reality Shows
- Who Believes It? Tami Roman Sheds Crocodile Tears On Wendy and Vows To Do Better
- Out of Site, Out of Mind and In Luck: Why The Best Way To Find Love Is To Forget About It
- Don’t Be a Ratchet Rat: 7 Manners Everyone Should Mind…Or Risk Getting Snapped On
- Haute Hats: When It’s Hot, Keep Your Cool With These 7 Stylish Looksl
- Things I Learned While Rocking Relaxed Hair, Natural Hair, and No Hair At All