For the longest time, data had us thinking men and women’s sexual peaks would never match. With men supposedly hitting there’s at 18—odd—and women at 30, it wasn’t likely those two sexually charged paths would ever cross. But a new survey provides some hope, or maybe better perspective, about when men and women actually have their best sex lives. For women, the age is now 28 and for men it’s gone up a lot, 15 years actually, to 33.
“This destroys the myth that it takes some women longer to master their sexual responses,” said a spokesperson for lovehoney.co.uk, a sex toy company which sponsored the survey.
“Despite the female sexual reproductive system being far more complex than a man’s, women are discovering what works and what doesn’t faster than men.”
That’s an interesting concept although it sort of falls in line with other results from the survey which found, on average, women lost their virginity around 17 while men lost theirs at 18. The results also throw questions at the whole concept of who’s really sowing their wild oats with findings that women are typically most sexually active at 25 but that’s not true for men until 29. I have a feeling women might be taking advantage of their young single years in their mid-20s while men might reach their prime at 29 in terms of career which also ups their overall attractiveness to potential partners, i.e. women start throwing it at ’em.
The good news is the sexual peak ages aren’t that far apart anymore so it shouldn’t be too hard for a 28-year-old woman to find her 33-year-old match, maybe.
What do you think? Does 28 sound like the right number for a woman to have her best sex life?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Things I Learned While Rocking Relaxed Hair, Natural Hair, and No Hair At All
- I’m a Little Uncomfortable With Michelle O’s Love For Beyoncé, Are You?
- Don’t Be a Ratchet Rat: 7 Manners Everyone Should Mind…Or Risk Getting Snapped On
- Haute Hats: When It’s Hot, Keep Your Cool With These 7 Stylish Looks
- Sheila E. Says Music Healed Wounds From a Traumatic Childhood Incident
- Get Under Your Skin: How To Renew & Maintain Your Skin
- The Hair She Dared to Wear: The Coiffures of Patti Labelle