It Doesn’t Only Happen To Black Girls: British School Bans Girl From Photos Due To Braid
Talk about conservative. Do you see this cute and unique hairstyle that this four-year-old is rocking? Well, it was deemed too controversial by her British primary school, which rejected the look and banned Marcella Marino from the schools’ annual photo.
Her father, who is a professional hair stylist and salon owner, was responsible for the chic bow-like updo. “Marcella asked me if I could do her hair like a princess for the school photo and I came up with a simple but elegant style, using her hair to make a bow,” he told The Daily Mail. “I am so disappointed – I could understand if Marcella arrived with her hair dyed or something, but this is an elegant look which I think the school should be proud of.”
Apparently, the style violated the dress policy, which outlaws braided hair. The braid, in this case, is the knot which was made to create the bow. SMH. Can we smell the discrimination here? So a Black student wouldn’t be allowed to exercise her cultural right to wear braids to this school? The strict dress code is sounding a lot like justified discrimination. Maybe all the publicity being directed at Marino’s plight, as a victimized, innocent girl, will shed light on the real problem here.
More on Madame Noire!
- Don’t Lie, You Were Jamming Too: 7 Singers & Groups We Used to Get Made Fun Of For Listening To
- Bump a Book of Rules: Love Is Not That Complicated
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: Lying on the Equipment & Being Friend Zoned
- Same Ish, Different Year: Do We Still Need the BET Awards?
- No Need To Call Tyrone: 7 Ways To Bow Out Of A Relationship Gracefully
- Madame On the Street: How Long Should You Wait to Have Sex?
- Dayummm…They Look Good For Their Age: Celebs Who Prove That Black Don’t Crack