It’s Official: Willow Smith Will Star in “Annie” Remake
It’s official: the Smith family is ready for another big screen close-up. In an interview with Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts, on Wednesday, Will Smith confirmed that the youngest of the Smith clan, Willow, 11, would be following in her parents and older brother Jayden’s (The Karate Kid) footsteps, with a starring role in the modernized film version of the 1982 musical Annie.
Will Smith, who is slated to produce the Sony Pictures project, also confirmed to Good Morning America that his Men In Black 3 co-star, Oscar winner Emma Thompson, wrote the script for the contemporary Annie film.
The film will be set in modern-day New York and will feature a host of new updated songs. Hip-hop, mogul, and hit maker Jay-Z is in charge of the music and is expected to write new musical tracks for the soundtrack. Jay-z is not new to re-imagining Annie tracks. His 1998 hit single “Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)” featured samples from the Broadway musical version.
Find out who Willow wants to play her dad at theGrio.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dayummm…They Look Good For Their Age: Celebs Who Prove That Black Don’t Crack
- Let This Be A Lesson: Nas Says He Knew Marriage To Kelis Wouldn’t Work
- 7 Singers Turned Actors: Who Was a Natural On-Screen and Who Was a Hot Mess?
- Decoding Your Downstairs: 8 Things Women Need To Know About Their Va Jay Jay
- No Need To Call Tyrone: 7 Ways To Bow Out Of A Relationship Gracefully
- Madame On the Street: How Long Should You Wait to Have Sex?
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Jungle Fever”