Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee are a classic Hollywood couple and their grandson, Muta’Ali Muhammad, wants to bring their story of love and light to life with a feature-length documentary titled, Life’s Essentials with Ruby Dee. Muhammad describes his vision as a “documentary style film about love, art and activism [that] tells the story of one of the most enduring couples of our times, Ossie Davis & Ruby Dee. “According to a description on Kickstarter.com:
Ossie & Ruby’s achievements in love (sustained marriage for 57 years), art (pioneers in black theater) and activism (always using their influence to help “the people”) parallel nearly a century of change in America. With this story being told through the lens of their grandson (filmmaker), an innate hunger to learn everything possible about Ossie & Ruby’s lives and apply it to today’s fight to preserve love, art and activism is always present.
Based on candid questions, revealing conversations, and never-before-seen family archival material, Life’s Essentials with Ruby Dee shares the wisdom of the ages with this present generation and carries the legacy of Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee forward in history for the first time in feature documentary form.
Muhammad is attempting to raise money to create the film which is why he started a petition on Kickstarter. He’s attempting to reach his $50,000 goal in the next 37 days and if it worked for Issa Rae and Awkward Black Girl, we think it can work for him.
Check out a snippet of what the film will show in the clip below and tell us what you think. Will you support this effort?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dayummm…They Look Good For Their Age: Celebs Who Prove That Black Don’t Crack
- Let This Be A Lesson: Nas Says He Knew Marriage To Kelis Wouldn’t Work
- 7 Singers Turned Actors: Who Was a Natural On-Screen and Who Was a Hot Mess?
- Decoding Your Downstairs: 8 Things Women Need To Know About Their Va Jay Jay
- No Need To Call Tyrone: 7 Ways To Bow Out Of A Relationship Gracefully
- Madame On the Street: How Long Should You Wait to Have Sex?
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Jungle Fever”