I can’t tell yet if President Obama’s really started something with black male rappers and acceptance of homosexuality or if these stars are just being trendy, but after Jay-Z expressed his support of the POTUS’ controversial same-sex marriage stance, T.I. has done the same.
In an interview with MTV’s RapFix Live, TIP made it clear that the push for gay couples to be able to marry is a non-issue for him.
“Just to speak honestly and being frank, I don’t care,” he told Sway. “I think that if a matter doesn’t affect your daily life, you shouldn’t take a hard stand on it. If it’s not something that directly affects you, if it doesn’t affect you, what difference does it make to you what other people are doing with their lives?
“I think that you should be able to do whatever you want to do,” T.I. remarked. “I don’t see how it matters one way or another.”
Although Tip hasn’t been able to vote for the past several years due to being on probation since his 2007 weapons arrest, this September his probation will be lifted and when he was asked who he was voting for he responded:
“I don’t think that’s a hard question….Obama.”
When we think about it, there are only a handful of rappers who really matter in the game right now and I wonder if T.I. and Jay-Z’s endorsement of same-sex marriage will start to peel back the anti-homophobic layers covering hip-hop. There’s a big difference between saying I don’t care what they’re doing over there and backing a gay or lesbian rapper but if these guys openly support homosexuality in one form they better be ready to accept it in another if confronted with it.
What do you think? Are T.I. and Jay-Z being trendy or could they really bring about change?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: Have You Gotten Over Your First Love?
- Wendy, Please Stop Speaking For All Black Women and Their Need To Be Natural
- Don’t Ignore the Crazy, Don’t Rationalize the Brokenness: A Cautionary Dating Tale
- Lil Kim On What Really Went Down With Faith, Her Face, and The Engagement No One Knew About
- MN Exclusive: Eric Benét Discusses New Album and Explains His Ode To “Redbone Girl”
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Girlfriends”
- How To Achieve Heatless Curls Around The House