I’m starting to think John Derbyshire just likes to say stupid stuff to get a reaction because if he really believes the things he says, we’re in trouble.
The former National Review writer was already fired from that gig when he wrote a piece on what white parents should tell their kids about black people. Unsurprisingly, he’s found a new home on VDare.com, an anti-immigration and multiculturalism site that is considered to be a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Society, and on that site he took time out of his second round of chemotherapy treatment to write a rather startling article titled, “Who are We–’The Dissident Right?’” in which he essentially seeks to clear up white supremacy’s bad name. He wrote:
“Leaving aside the intended malice, I actually think ‘White Supremacist’ is not bad semantically … White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with. There have of course been some blots on the record, but I don’t see how it can be denied that net-net, white Europeans have made a better job of running fair and stable societies than has any other group.”
Fair and stable, just a few blots on the record? Okay John. What’s crazy is I’m sure he really does believe what he’s saying—and wants to get a reaction—because his reasoning is not unlike that of the early European settlers who had to colonize all of us savage animals who were running around uncivilized until they came along. I’m curious though, what the British-American thinks about the current state of affairs because America isn’t doing so hot in the aftermath of the glory days when white Europeans were running things. Oh wait, I forgot. We have a black president now. That must be why things are so effed up. Sorry.
What do you think about John’s words?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Once a Bully, Always a Bully? The Issue With Mitt Romney’s Past & Present
- Pull Out the VHS: Best Black Films of the ’90s PART II
- LOL: After One Date and One Rejection, Guy Says The “Average Chick” Was Lucky He Gave Her A Chance
- Lord Help Me, I’ve Got The Old Chick in The Club, Ready For a Family Itch
- Bad Hair Don’t Care: 5 Tips to Overcoming Your Bad Hair Day
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “The Color Purple”
- Cute Kid Alert: Candid Pics of Roc & Roe Cannon’s Birthday Party, And Tallulah Dash Turns Four