Jennie is all torn up inside. She recently came to the realization that she’s in love. The guy she loves is perfect for her — he loves sports like she does, he’s considerate, kind and he even likes her parents. The trouble is that this guy doesn’t know she loves him. They’ve been close friends for years now. They have supported one another through bad relationships, job interviews, career successes and more. Now that they’re both single, Jennie is starting to realize that her feelings for him are more than just friends.
The other night, after they played a game of basketball together, she felt so attracted to him; she wanted to reach out and kiss him (and more). She stopped herself because she’s afraid of ruining their friendship if he doesn’t feel the same way. It happens quite frequently, actually. Two people get to know one another as friends. They enjoy hanging out together, confide in each other and rely on one another. This is great … until one of them decides that he or she wants more.
After that point, the person who has fallen in love with a friend needs to decide whether or not to tell the truth and/or act on those feelings. There is a chance that a wonderful and fulfilling love relationship could bloom from the friendship and that it could just happen naturally. However, there is also a chance that the attraction could be there — for both people — but neither one has the courage to admit it. This scenario leaves two friends hungering for more and afraid to do anything about it.
While some of the longest-lasting and closest love relationships are between people who are truly good friends first, taking that step from friends to romantic lovers can feel like a big and treacherous move to make.
Check out 3 tips to help you decide whether or not you should confess your love for your friend at YourTango.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Hip to the Game: Red Flags We Overlook In Our 20′s And Look Out For In Our 30′s!
- Ashton Kutcher, “Brown Face,” And Why These Images Persist in Media
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Boyz N The Hood”
- Why Do We Feel The Need to Keep Explaining ‘Our’ Fatness?
- Did You Know They Were The Daddy? Surprising Celebrity Parents
- 20 Years Later, Where Are They Now? The Cast of “The Cosby Show”
- Who You Calling a Bit**? A How-To on Properly Addressing Women