In this day and age, the definition of cheating has required a lot of stretching to include the shady behavior people partake in due to technology. Oh how sexting has broken up a lot of relationships and conversations and photos posted on social media hasn’t made things any better either. And in general, social media has allowed us to not only interact with people we might not have had access to in the past, but it’s also allowed us to have large audiences to rant to, and an opportunity to be more nosey about our partner’s every day comings and goings than we used to be able to be. So with that, there’s a lot of things people need to be more careful about when it comes to how they handle themselves on the computer when they’re in a relationship, specifically on social media. Monitoring yourself can save you a lot of drama…
- Sharing the Details of Your Relationship Online: I’m sure you’ve seen those people who get in a fight with their boyfriend or girlfriend, and then jump on social media and call that person everything BUT a child of God (as my pastor would say). Not only that, but they only tell one side of the story to individuals online and use their Facebook and Twitter to vent and say, “___ ain’t s**t!” It’s best to keep your squabbles with your partner to yourself, or learn to talk these situations out because you need to for the betterment of your relationship…not because you got caught talking reckless in your Tweet ;last night, and now all hell is breaking loose…
- Sharing Scandalous Photos of Yourself or Taking Them With Others: I’m sure you love your new Instagram account, but I hope you understand the importance of not taking scandalous pics of yourself in the bathroom mirror, on the bed, or any other random place you can think of and posting it online. Nobody likes seeing their girlfriend or boyfriend’s profile picture being ogled by strangers online who make creepy demands (“Can I see more of that???” but in more broken english). Nor should you be at parties or events with friends of the opposite sex all hugged up and getting way too friendly. If you decide to do so, expect some drama to ensue if your partner comes across it.
- Entertaining Random People Who Try to Contact You: Everyone enjoys a compliment from time to time, especially if you’re not getting it from your partner as often as you would like. But having back and forth correspondences with the cute guy who direct messaged you is not a good idea. Especially if Mr. Man is a stranger. I’m sure you have no real plans to meet this person or get to know them further (or at least I hope you don’t), so I wouldn’t recommend messing around and getting caught flirting with someone you won’t remember or care anything about a month from now.
- Saying Things to Folks You Wouldn’t Say in Front of Your Significant Other: This one speaks for itself. If you wouldn’t tell a person “You could get it” in front your mate, you might want to choose your words wisely online. People like to think that because you decide to delete something it’s gone and all proof of what you wrote is gone, but once folks see it, it’s out there (and probably out there to stay if word spreads fast–that’s why celebs struggle on Twitter). Anything you had to do a double take behind your back to make sure no one saw you type might warrant you keeping things PG. Hell, G actually.
- But In the End, Don’t Spy on Your Spouse Through Their Social Media Accounts: Crazy, right!? But hey, I wouldn’t recommend being “Big Brother” over your own partner’s social media pages. From going through the conversations posted on his/her pages (and doing background checks on the people who they were talking to), to trying to get the password to their accounts and starting fights over what folks posted on that person’s wall, just calm down. All you can really do is trust your partner and hope that your significant other isn’t out there being scandalous (or that they don’t have an account with a fake name to allow them to act a fool), but letting social media create a rift in your relationship is not a good look. So don’t let it.
More on Madame Noire!
- WEEKEND WRAP-UP! The IRS Wants Faith Evans! Who’s Headed Back To Jail? + MORE!
- LaTanya Richardson Talks About Life With Samuel L. Jackson
- EYE POPPING! Tips On Rocking Bright & Bold Eyeshadow
- Childs’ Play: Reasons Why You Attract “Little Boys”
- Did You Know They Were The Daddy? Surprising Celebrity Parents
- 20 Years Later, Where Are They Now? The Cast of “The Cosby Show”
- More Than Just Music: Dynamic Duets Who Also Dated”