If you’ve forgiven May J. Blige for her Burger King commercial then you’ll be happy to know she’s guest editing Essence magazine’s June issue.
What’s amazing is this is Mary’s twelfth time covering Essence, and for once the story isn’t focusing on Mary’s tumultuous past but on the love she has for self and how that shines through in her personal style.
“I was never really able to look at myself in the mirror until I began to hear God telling me I was beautiful,” Mary said. “Suddenly, other people started telling me I was beautiful, too, because I had started believing it…”
That beauty shows through in Mary’s personality and her work ethic, according to Essence.
“She blew us away once again. Rolling up her designer sleeves, Mary got to work and left her imprint throughout the magazine on everything from fashion, relationships, money management and more. Plus, in the introspective story, ‘Take Me As I Am,’ Miss Mary reminds readers that the woman who’s most irresistible to a man is the one who loves herself.”
Amen to that. The June issue hits newsstands May 11. Will you check it out?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I Was Dating a Man With a Secret…
- Who Gon’ Check Me, Boo?: Annoying Things You Should Check Your Friends About
- It’s The Most Ratchet Time of the Year: The Ugliest Prom Dresses of All Time
- Wonder What It Was Like To Date A Young Obama? 2 Ex-Girlfriends Reveal All
- Don’t Play With Me: 6 Things You Don’t Joke About With Black Women
- When Dining Goes Bad: Family Locked In Restaurant When They Refuse To Tip
- Patience is a Virtue: An Open Letter To My Future Husband