Healthy boundaries in your relationships don’t just happen. They require discipline and willpower. I know this sounds about as appealing as going on a diet, but without healthy boundaries, you can end up a victim of a man’s bad behavior.
Why do you need to make the effort to stick to your personal boundaries? They give you self-respect. They are how you take care of and protect your mind, body and spirit. They give you a say in how you want your relationship to unfold; how much to give of yourself and when.
Setting healthy boundaries is the most important skill you need to have successful relationships. However, for many women, this can be very challenging. If you are someone who finds it hard to say “no,” boundaries will be particularly difficult to stick to. Here’s how to set healthy boundaries in dating relationships:
- Reflect. Look back on your past relationships. Identify the things you know you should have done differently. List the mistakes you made that worked against you. I bet the majority, if not all, involved you letting down your boundaries in some way. Take your time with this process. If you’re thorough, you’ll most likely find a pattern of behavior.
Check out the rest of the tips at YourTango.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I Was Dating a Man With a Secret…
- Who Gon’ Check Me, Boo?: Annoying Things You Should Check Your Friends About
- It’s The Most Ratchet Time of the Year: The Ugliest Prom Dresses of All Time
- Wonder What It Was Like To Date A Young Obama? 2 Ex-Girlfriends Reveal All
- Don’t Play With Me: 6 Things You Don’t Joke About With Black Women
- When Dining Goes Bad: Family Locked In Restaurant When They Refuse To Tip
- Patience is a Virtue: An Open Letter To My Future Husband