Queen Latifah has been notoriously private about her suspected lesbian lifestyle so the fact that she’s participating in the upcoming Long Beach Lesbian & Gay Pride Festival appears to be a “coming out” for the actress, even if she doesn’t say a word.
The Queen will headline the festival which will take place May 19 and is the city’s second biggest annual event, drawing around 75,000 attendees over two days. Details about her performance have been kept totally on the low but everyone is wondering whether Ms. Dana Owens will stand before the masses acknowledging herself as a lesbian woman or simply come on stage, do her thing, and let the public speculate as they’ve been doing for years. That’s probably the best route to go because the moment Queen Latifah decides to come out, the press will be running behind her day and night trying to get her to speak on life as a lesbian woman, and for someone who doesn’t run seeking attention from the media I feel that would be a bit much for the Queen.
It won’t be much longer until we have an answer—or proof of one—but more power to her if this move signifies she’s more comfortable being who she is. And if not, we’re still sure she’ll give a great performance.
What do you think about Queen Latifah’s gig? Is it a huge deal or no biggie?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “What’s Love Got to Do With It”
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Family Matters”
- Can We Ever Get The Black Family Sitcom Back?
- Ratch on Ratch on Ratch: 6 Questions I Need Answered About Basketball Wives’
- The Mane Balancing Act: Exercising And Your Hair
- What’s Love Got To Do With It? Things You Really Need To Make A Relationship Work
- Post-Baby Fab: Fantasia Shows Off New Curves, New Hair & New Colorful Look