Bobby Brown is speaking out on Whitney Houston’s death for the first time since the singer passed away in February and he basically has one thing to say: It’s not my fault.
“I’m not the one that got Whitney on drugs, at all,” Bobby said in an interview that will be aired on the “Today” show later this week. “I’m not the reason she’s gone.”
Speaking to host Matt Lauer, Bobby said he’s been off drugs for several years and he assumed Whitney was sober as well. He also points out that he wasn’t the one to hook Whitney on drugs in the first place.
“I was hurt … because, you know, me being off of narcotics for the last seven years – I felt that she was, you know, I didn’t know she was struggling with it still. But at the same time, you know – listen, it’s a hard fight.
“I smoked weed, I drank the beer, but no, I wasn’t the one that got Whitney on drugs at all.”
For clarification, Matt Lauer asked whether drugs were apart of Whitney’s life before the two got together and Bobby said:
“Way, way before. Yeah … It’s just, it’s just unexplainable – how one could, you know, (say that I) got her addicted to drugs. I’m not the reason she’s gone.”
Bobby also said that Whitney looked good the last time he saw her a week before she died, and said she even had a glow about her.
“She just looked like she was in a good place,” he said.
Bobby’s two-part interview will air on NBC’s “Today” show Wednesday and Thursday this week. There’s no word on whether he’ll speak out about the problems at Whitney’s funeral and why he left the services but this should definitely be a special worth watching.
Do you think it was time Bobby defended himself?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- What’s Love Got To Do With It? Things You Really Need To Make A Relationship Work
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Family Matters”
- Pompadours and Ponytails: Which Celeb Wears It Best?
- Ratch on Ratch on Ratch: 6 Questions I Need Answered About Basketball Wives’
- Bad Never Looked So Good: Fine Fictional Characters That Scared Us For Real
- Friend to Foe: 7 Things That Can Turn Your Bestie Into Your Worst Enemy
- GIRLS GONE WILD! Ladies Who Can’t Keep Their Hands To Themselves