Today PEOPLE magazine’s “Most Beautiful Woman 2012” issue hit newsstands and inside the woman who took this year’s crown talks a little more about times when she didn’t feel so beautiful—like during pregnancy—and what was up with her walking around in heels the full nine months. Interestingly, Bey says she’s over the skyscraper heels she’s usually seen walking around in now, and that’s just how Jay likes it.
“I never thought there would be a day when I wouldn’t wear heels. Now that I have a child, I walk around holding her all day, I’m buying loafers and oxfords. I love them, because they’re comfortable,” she says. “And shorter heels too. I’d always thought, ‘The higher the heel, the sexier.’ But now I’m like, ‘These are really [swexy].’”
The bonus is hubby Jay-Z approves:
“He loves it when I wear flat shoes, which is surprising — he never saw me in flats before!” she says. “He likes me more natural — just the relaxed, natural me.”
Though she’s very comfortable being a dressed-down new mother, Bey admitted to trying to maintain the glam look right up until the end of her pregnancy.
“I wore my gloss when I arrived at the hospital. I committed to the end and wore my kitten heels. It makes me laugh thinking about it. After many hours of labor, I didn’t care about how I looked. It was all about the miracle that God gave me — the opportunity to deliver a human being.”
Now, she’s all about the D-I-Y beauty lifestyle.
“I recently cut two inches[of hair] myself — I just parted it and chh-chh-chh,” she said laughing.
Sounds like motherhood gave Beyonce a new perspective on what’s important in life.
Are you a stiletto junkie like Bey?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bad Never Looked So Good: Fine Fictional Characters That Scared Us For Real
- Does Your Life Revolve Around Men?
- Transgender Woman On Trial For Second-Degree Murder After Homophobic Attack
- Beyond Boycotting: Star Jones Calling High-Profile Women To Take A Stand Against ‘BBW’
- Kimora Lee Simmons Launches New Skin Care Line
- Skincare Q&A: Photo Sensitivity, Combination Skin and Dark Circles
- Hit or Ms.: Do We Really Need to Have Respect for Adults?