Last night, VH1 aired Brandy’s “Behind the Music” special and the singer talked about some well-known difficult times in her past like her breakup with Boys II Men singer Wanya Morris and the fatal car accident she was involved in in 2006. But the 33-year-old also revealed another dark part of her teen years: suffering from an eating disorder.
“I wanted to be so thin. That was my main thing. So I started not taking care of myself — not eating properly, not eating at all, diet pills, regurgitating, and all of these things that girls do,” she admitted.
“People don’t understand that being the hottest star or making the most money does not mean anything,” she explained. “I’m here to tell you I was making so much money — I was omnipresent — and I was the unhappiest teenager probably in the world.”
No one would have guessed that from the singer’s bubbly personality in interviews, her stage presence, or her personality on the hit sitcom “Moesha,” but Brandy’s long-time friend confirmed the pressure the teen star was dealing with.
“On the outside everybody saw this amazing person who had everything, but that’s not what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She felt she was never as good as everyone else thought that she was.”
Anorexia, bulimia, and body issues are typically conditions that are thought to be “white girl problems” so Brandy opening about her issues is a pretty big step for the black community and one that hopefully makes people more aware of what our teen girls are going through too.
Check out this clip from her “Behind the Music” special. Did you watch last night?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: The Cheating Scale & Adult Videos
- Find a Solution to Your Suffering Sex Life
- Disappearing Acts: Why Men Suddenly Stop Calling
- Malinda Williams Is Not Feeling ‘Think Like A Man’
- Bruised But Not Broken: 10 Ways to Cure Heartbreak
- What’s The Big Deal About The Lack Of Black ‘Girls?’
- Skincare Q&A: Photo Sensitivity, Combination Skin and Dark Circles
- Haute Hair Accessory: Clip-Ins (Starting Under $100 Too!)