Last week I came across an article that said Mase may make an appearance on Rick Ross and French Montana’s upcoming albums and all I thought was, why does this man stay with one foot in the pulpit and the other in the hood? But now I know the answer: the IRS has their foot all up in his behind.
As of now, Mason Betha owes the IRS $124,774.85 in back taxes, going all the way back from 2000, 2001, and 2004, which was right around the time he put out that “Welcome Back” album after a five-year hiatus to pursue a “calling from God.” The album didn’t do so hot so that could be why he neglected to pay Uncle Sam. Considering it’s been about eight years since we’ve heard him in any mainstream format, paying off the IRS is the only explanation I can come up with for him appearing on Rozay and newcomer French Montana’s records, although he’s also rumored to have a $35,000 jewelry bill he neglected to pay around that same time too.
I’m going to assume Mase is completely done with his ministry now that he’s pending a third comeback but I wonder if he prayed on this. I know back in ’99 he and Diddy said 10 years from now they’d still be on top, but 13 years later, the game will probably not be feeling that Harlem World sound anymore.
When is someone going to teach these celebs you can’t avoid the IRS?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating Before Divorced! These Folks Just Couln’t Wait…
- Not So Famous Sisters of Famous Black Celebrities Part III
- LASH OUT! The 7 Best Mascaras For Lash Length – EDITOR PICKS
- Relationship Reflections: Things To Think About After The Breakup
- Oh No She Didn’t: Tyra Banks Fires Jay Manuel, Nigel Barker, and J.Alexander from ANTM
- Brooklyn Man Locked Up Nearly a Year for Rape Even Though Victim Recanted Story
- ‘Broke’: New Documentary Looks at How Pro Athletes (Foolishly) Lose All Their Money
- Is Church A Waste of Time?