Port Richey, FL, mom Chekayla Dampier has been arrested on charges of aggravated child abuse after she put her 7-week-old baby under scalding hot water to punish him for crying excessively.
A spokesman from Pasco Sheriff’s Office said Chekayla allegedly ran the hot water from the tap in her bathroom and held the baby under for two to three minutes. Afterward she brought the baby to a local clinic to be treated for burns, but the extent of the injuries was so severe that the baby was transported by helicopter to Tampa General Pediatric Burn Unit.
A complaint obtained by FoxNews.com noted the baby suffered burns to the eyes, ears, head, chest and arms, and the full extent of the damage hasn’t been determined as the baby remains in critical condition, authorities said.
Although Chekayla initially claimed someone else burned the child, she ended up admitting to placing the baby in an infant wash tub and running the water. She even demonstrated placing the baby’s head directly under the spout and turning on the hot water, the complaint stated. She also admitted that when she dried the baby, his skin was coming off and other parts of his skin were bubbling. When Sheriff’s forensics took the temperature of the hot water it registered at 142 degrees
The 18-year-old mother is currently being held on a $150,000 bond. We’re hoping the newborn pulls through.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”
- Is 3 Months Too Long to Wait for Sex? The 90 Day Rule from a Man’s Point of View
- It Takes Two to Tango: Why Do We Always Focus Blame On The Other Woman?
- What’s Better for Your Hair? Flat Iron vs. Hot Comb
- Indie Pop Group Declares They’ve ‘Got A Thing For Black Girls’ in New Music Video
- Brooklyn Man Locked Up Nearly a Year for Rape Even Though Victim Recanted Story
- Think Like A Man’s Gabrielle Union, Meagan Good and Regina Hall Discuss “The Man List”
- For A Limited Time Only: 7 Signs You Might Be A Rebound