Bob Marley Documentary Premiering in Theaters and on Facebook
Facebook is continuing its legacy of charting unprecedented territory by live-streaming the new “Marley” documentary about the life of Jamaican singer and songwriter Bob Marley on the social network the same day it premiers in theaters.
Since March of last year Facebook has offered movie rentals, but this is the first time a film that’s also headed to the cinema will be available for purchase. For $6.99 Facebook users can watch the doc without leaving their homes.
“It’s a unique opportunity for a film that’s not a blockbuster,” says Sandi Hemmerlein, General Manager of Tuff Gong Worldwide — Marley executive producer Ziggy Marley’s record label. “One of our goals is to give as many people as we can access to it.”
Streaming will be available in the U.S. and Caribbean territories including Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas, and considering the 38 million “likes” Bob Marley’s Facebook page has 30 years after his death, Hemmerlein said this offering makes complete sense.
“Bob Marley has such a strong presence both online and offline. He’s reached such iconic status, particularly in the years since his death,” she said.
The April 20th release date of the film is also pretty interesting, and Hemmerlein isn’t oblivious to the Marijuana reference although she says the date has more than one meaning—including being the birth date of Bob Marley’s son, Stephen.
“Obviously, it resonates with a certain fan base,” she said. “It’s a memorable date for a lot of people. It also happens to fall on Friday, which is usually when movies come out.”
For those who like to get their 4/20 on, it will be much easier to do that while watching the film from home.
Do you plan to check out “Marley” in theaters or online?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I Experienced Racism When…
- Spring Hair Trend Alert: Which Celebs Rocked Ombre Tresses Right, And Who Did It Wrong?
- Printed Pants: Fab Style Or Fashion Faux Pas?
- 6 Things That Should Not Be Distractions While At Work
- Love and Baby Bumps: Yandy Finally Confirms Pregnancy
- NEW MN WEB SERIES: “Ask A Black Man” Episode 3: The SEX Episode
- Raw Reality TV Preview: RHOA Three-Part Reunion
- Cuteness: Louis Bullock (Sandra’s Son) & The Game’s Daughter Cali Get Adorable for The Camera