What a Mighty Good Man! Cory Booker Rescues Neighbor From Burning Home
This morning, one of my co-workers said, “Does Cory Booker think he’s Batman?” Well, when you spend your evening saving someone’s life, there’s no think to it. You are a super hero.
Last night, the Newark, New Jersey mayor was returning home from an interview when he saw that his neighbor’s house was on fire.
According to the Star Ledger, the 42 year old Democratic mayor fought off his own security detail to get into the burning building. By the time he reached the second floor, Booker said he was engulfed in flames and smoke.
“I suddenly had the realization that I can’t find this woman.” Booker said. “I look behind me and see the flames and I think “I’m not going to get out of here. Suddenly I was at peace with the fact that I was going to jump out the window.”
Then he heard her cries in a back bedroom.
“I just grabbed her and whipped her out of the bed,” Booker said. The two made their way downstairs, where they both collapsed, Booker said.
The mayor, the woman he rescued and three other people were taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation and burns.
As if his actions weren’t enough, the mayor is still very humble about his heroics. This morning he told reporters:
“I’m a neighbor and did what most neighbors would do, which is jump into action to help a friend.”
Hmmm. For the record Mr. Mayor, people would like to think they could and would do something like this if the situation ever arose; but in actuality, most people wouldn’t.
The mayor, who sustained second-degree burns, is back at home now, with a bandaged hand.
Much respect to the him.
Considering Cory Booker is a bit of a cutie, I have just three words: We.go.together.
Do you think you could have done what Mayor Cory Booker did?
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I Experienced Racism When…
- Spring Hair Trend Alert: Which Celebs Rocked Ombre Tresses Right, And Who Did It Wrong?
- Printed Pants: Fab Style Or Fashion Faux Pas?
- 6 Things That Should Not Be Distractions While At Work
- Love and Baby Bumps: Yandy Finally Confirms Pregnancy
- NEW MN WEB SERIES: “Ask A Black Man” Episode 3: The SEX Episode
- Raw Reality TV Preview: RHOA Three-Part Reunion
- Cuteness: Louis Bullock (Sandra’s Son) & The Game’s Daughter Cali Get Adorable for The Camera