It’s been a couple of years since Erykah Badu released an album but she’s making up for lost time by working on two new projects simultaneously.
Erykah recently spoke to Sister 2 Sister and she told the mag she has a solo album in the works, as well as a collaborative project with her group, the Cannabinoids.
“I give myself room to breathe and grow and to procrastinate but to finish those projects is my next successful moment that I am seeking,” she said. “I am working really hard this year. I don’t have much time to write but I can do it.”
Luckily, Erykah’s not all alone with the Cannabinoids project. The group consists of producers and keyboardists such as Jah Born (“On & On”), her musical director, R.C. Williams, and more. The group’s name is an ode to the receptors in marijuana that produce chemical changes and feelings of hunger, paranoia, and addiction. For Erykah this is her first big jump into the digital hip-hop, and she hopes her fans catch on to the sound.
“We are about impromptu performing and we are in the studio trying to recreate something we did on the spot and that’s fun. Our theme is welcome to the human brain and science of addiction. We want you to become addicted to that,” she said.
“I am still analog girl but I can swim in the digital world. I prefer analog songs so before everything is pressed to wax or digitized it goes back to the tape. So it’s well balanced at this point.”
Beyond these two projects, Erykah also has another item under her belt that many might not know about—her own drink. Mixologist Jordan Bushell came up with the Hennessy-inspired beverage and titled it The Music Icon, after Ms. Badu. The drink debuted at a mixer at Soho House in New York City and its combined ingredients are as diverse as Erykah’s sound, featuring fresh lime juice, agave nectar, crème de mure, and a basil leaf floating on top of foamy egg whites. Interesante.
Are you excited to hear music from Erykah’s group?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: If I Could Talk to My Younger Self, I’d Say…
- Back to the Drawing Board: 9 Black Films That Were Disappointing…
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Waiting on a Ring & Rolling With Frenemies
- SMH: Scorned Lover Posts Nude Pics Of Ex Around Town After Breakup
- 9 Celebs Who Tried The Half-Shaved Hairstyle: Who Made it Fierce and Who Failed?
- I Just Want To Thank Your Parents: Fathers and Mothers of The Most Beautiful Brothers
- Beauty Bests For Belles On A Budget
- Where Are They Now? The Cast and Character of “Martin”