Huh? ‘Single Black Female’ Series is Now ‘Being Mary Jane’
Okay, so I know a lot of people weren’t crazy about the title of Gabriel Union’s new show on BET, “Single Black Female,” but I’m not sure the alternative the network came up with is any better.
According to Shadow and Act, the initial title didn’t work for “a number of reasons,” so “Single Black Female” has been swapped for “Being Mary Jane.” Am I the only one who has images of Mary Tyler Moore floating around my head? Or Rick James, as the Shadow and Act writer said. For whatever reason the change was made, the press release the site received said:
“Being Mary Jane is an opportunity to explore the life of a statistic often reported but never explored.”
At first I thought maybe the network didn’t want to alienate white viewers with its title, then I remembered the show will be on BET, so the creators must have thought the original title wouldn’t sit well with the black women they want to tune in. Regardless, it’s a little too late since we already know the plot
Beyond the name change, we’ve also got a few more details on Gabrielle’s supporting cast. Playing her father will be Richard Roundtree, and Aaron D. Spears of “The Bold & The Beautiful” will play Mark Bradley, “a charismatic co-anchor and close friend to Mary Jane.”
This show is getting more interesting by the day. Gabrielle just doesn’t look like a Mary Jane to me.
What do you think about this name change?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- 7 Early Signs Of They Jealous Type
- Juicy Details, Please: 7 Autobiographies We’d Love To Read
- 7 Men To Run From When Online Dating
- Let’s Put An End To Nose Contouring – For Good
- “Shaunie O’Neal Says She’s Too Old For Jen And Evelyn’s Drama
- Did Kerry Washington Deserve The Vanity Fair Cover?
- Unorthodox Religion: Pastor Puts Stripper Pole In Pulpit To Curb Members’ Lascivious Ways
- “Ask A Black Man” Cast – Meet Devale Ellis