Michelle Obama Talks Motherhood in May Issue of Ebony
All of us grew up in different households but there’s likely no place quite as unique to be a mother than the White House. First Lady Michelle Obama talks about just that in the May issue of Ebony, which she graces the cover of in a stylish blue Tracy Reese dress befitting the magazine’s cover topic, “Celeb Moms + Hot Looks for Every Age.”
In the cover feature, Mrs. Obama talks about more mundane sides of raising children from Mother’s Day plans, like eating macaroni and cheese, to how seriously she takes the responsibility of being a parent, to relying on her own mother, who lives with the family, for guidance. Here’s a bit of what she said on raising Sasha and Malia:
“Barack and I feel that our greatest responsibility is to raise two productive, respectful, kind empathetic young women.
“My husband talks to our girls about how he expects men in their lives to treat them, and he offers examples by how he treats me and how he treats them.”
The FLOTUS also said she and Barack rely on her mother, Marian Robinson, to be there to pickup the girls from school, go to sporting events, or even handle birthday party duty when their schedules won’t allow them to. She also turns to her mother for moral support.
“Anytime I need to go and plop on her couch and just talk, she’s always there,” Michelle said.
Other celebrity mommies who will be featured in Ebony‘s May issue are Tina Knowles, Solange, and Juelz, along with former model Beverly Johnson’s family. The issue hits newsstands April 17.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- 7 Early Signs Of They Jealous Type
- Juicy Details, Please: 7 Autobiographies We’d Love To Read
- 7 Men To Run From When Online Dating
- Let’s Put An End To Nose Contouring – For Good
- “Shaunie O’Neal Says She’s Too Old For Jen And Evelyn’s Drama
- Did Kerry Washington Deserve The Vanity Fair Cover?
- Unorthodox Religion: Pastor Puts Stripper Pole In Pulpit To Curb Members’ Lascivious Ways
- “Ask A Black Man” Cast – Meet Devale Ellis