For the third consecutive year, every single senior at Urban Prep Academy, the only all-black, all-male charter high school in Chicago, has been accepted to college, school officials announced.
The academy also said that 83 percent of its first graduating class in 2010 has re-enrolled in a second year of college, a rebuttal to critics of the school who have charged that students aren’t always ready for college, reports the Chicago Tribune.
Critics have also suggested that Urban Prep squeezes out students with academic and discipline problems who other schools have to work with. Urban Prep officials acknowledge that this year’s senior class of 85 was almost twice that size when the boys started out as freshmen.
But Urban Prep CEO Tim King, in a meeting Thursday with the Chicago Tribune’s editorial board, vigorously denied that troubled students are forced out or encouraged to leave.
For more information on how these young brothers did it, visit EurWeb.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- When Tweeting Goes Wrong: 6 Celebrity Scuffles & Screw Ups On Twitter
- Are You In Love With Being In Love? Reasons Why Being A Romantic Can Ruin You
- Star Wars: The Best Of Celebrity Feuds
- “Ask A Black Man” Episode 1: Life Of A Single Man (Extended Cut)
- Check Your Child: 8 Tips For Keeping Your Daughter Off The Pole
- Don’t Text Your Ex! Thing To Tell Yourself Before Picking Up The Phone
- Take It To The Floor: Maxi Dresses That Will Sweep You Into Spring
- Give & Take: Signs That You Are Too Much Of A Giver