Inter-office dating has always been taboo. Emotionally charged as romantic relationships tend to be, it’s hard for many to keep a professional demeanor over the water cooler. But with almost 20 percent more singles in the workplace then ten years ago, some employers are turning their heads to office romances and they’re popping up everywhere.
The trick to a lasting office relationship or even a short trisk, is to be perfectly clear on the nature of the relationship, in and out of the office.
According to AskMen.com relationship correspondent Mike Spokes, “If you ever find yourself in this type of predicament, do whatever you feel is right, but let your brain weigh the pros and cons before enrolling yourself in a crash course in career chaos. Unless you honestly believe that you can juggle your career and a relationship with one hand, you might want to do yourself a favor and keep your business and personal lives separate.”
Here are a few other things cubicle lovers should know:
- Know the company rules on dating before you explore romance
- Consider your image and unintended fallouts
- Date horizontally. Don’t ever date a subordinate or the boss! Trust us, it gets messy.
- Be discrete about everything. That means, no blowing kisses at meetings.
- Discuss issues that may arise openly
- Don’t share details of your relationship with co-workers.