The thought most certainly does not count when it comes to the “Justice” party a promoter in Greensboro, NC, tried to throw at a strip club in memory of Trayvon Martin. Luckily the owners of the Lingerie Lounge shut the event down before it could take place tonight, but unfortunately the stupidity of the idea still lingers.
Featuring a photo of Trayvon, as a promotion, the flier offered “EVERYONE FREE B4 11 WITH AN EMPTY BAG OF SKITTLES.” As News One notes, there was no mention that proceeds from the event would go to Trayvon Martin’s family as they prepare for a legal battle over the case, but I’m not even sure that matters at this point. Even if the event were to raise money for them, I’d still be asking why no one thought this could be done a better way. And since that isn’t the case at all, I’m just wondering why promoters keep thinking these opportunistic and shameful party plugs are a good idea?
It’s bad enough they’re already exploiting women at the strip club, don’t try to bring the memory of someone’s tragic death into the picture for the sake of a couple dollars. This is far worse than the MLK Stripper Party Flier that a Miami promoter was slammed for earlier this year. We’re still grieving over the murder of this boy. I’m surprised they didn’t add a “best hoodie” competition to the lineup, although maybe the promise of free chicken wings before 10:30 was all they good afford to give away. I hope somebody exposes the designer behind this.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Shequoiya, Cordozar And Other Amusing Middle Names Of Black CelebsII
- The Fashion Police’s Most Wanted: 6 Celebrities Whose Style Should Be A Crime
- Chaka Khan, Angela Bassett And Other Celebs Create ‘Super Life’ Video In Trayvon Martin’s Memory
- Tami Roman Suffers Mild Heart Attack
- Would You Let A Man Upgrade You?
- Allen Iverson Says No To Divorce Because He’s Still Getting It On With His Wife
- Introducing Caviar Nails-The Next Nail Trent You’ll Be Beading + How-To Video
- Style To Steal or Girl, Stop: June Ambrose, La La Anthony & Adrienne Bailon”