Missing Detroit Women Found Buried in Shallow Grave
Almost exactly one month ago, Ashley Conaway, 22, and Abreeya Brown, 18, went missing in Detroit after being kidnapped on February 28. Now police believe their bodies have been found on the west side of the city—a development the families of the victims say brings them one step closer to justice.
Details surrounding the girls’ disappearance is odd. On Feb. 8, Brian Christopher Lee, 24, and Brandon Cain, 26, reportedly shot at the women’s car after Conaway told Cain she was no longer romantically interested in him. A bullet grazed Conaway’s head, and according to the Daily Mail, Cain offered the women $5,000 not to go to the police. When they refused, Brown’s stepfather said they were kidnapped about 10 pm on Feb. 28, and driven away in the trunk of a Chrysler.
The women’s families said police told them they found the burned-out car on the city’s west side Feb. 29, along with a driver’s license belonging to one of the women inside. The car also had bullet holes where Brown’s stepfather told police he shot to try to stop the kidnapping.
Both men are now in custody and scheduled for a preliminary exam Friday on charges of assault with intent to murder for the Feb. 8 shooting incident. Cain is also charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm and felonious assault. So far, they have not been charged in connection with the women’s disappearance and Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee told ABC news they are a long way off from murder charges. Autopsies of the women are expected to be completed today.
“It didn’t turn out in the way we had hoped it would turn out but our faith is strong, this family should be strong,” Ashley’s sister, Latrina Conaway said. “It’s a sad day. A very sad day.”
It’s a shame police didn’t move on the suspects after the Feb. 8 incident.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Shawty Swing My Way! Baseball Cuties We Love
- Brighten Up Your Day! Pops Of Color To Add To Your Wardrobe!
- Keep Rising To The Top: Supporting Actresses Who Became Leading Ladies
- I’m Not Saying She’s A Gold Digger But She’s Not Messing With…
- Ladies, Has It Been Awhile? 6 Ways to Take the ‘Edge’ Off
- Love Without A Limit: Why Women Stay In Bad Relationships
- Are They Related? Black Celebs (And Non-Black Celebs) Who Look Like They Could Be Siblings
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Living Single”