IRS Taking Every Penny From Nas’ Album Sales Until Huge Debt is Paid
From now on Nas will have to make music just for the fun of it because he won’t see a dime of his album sales until his debt is paid to the IRS. The rapper’s delinquent tax filings have caused the government to begin garnishing his wages until his tax debt—to the tune of $6 million—is paid off.
Uncle Sam filed court documents in the state of Georgia to have music publishing organizations BMI and ASCAP send royalties earned on any of Nas’ albums directly to the government rather than the rapper’s bank account. Considering people don’t buy music the way they used to, it’s going to be a long time before Nas sees another paycheck—from his albums anyway.
SMH. What is up with celebrities thinking they don’t have to pay taxes like the rest of us?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Shawty Swing My Way! Baseball Cuties We Love
- Brighten Up Your Day! Pops Of Color To Add To Your Wardrobe!
- Keep Rising To The Top: Supporting Actresses Who Became Leading Ladies
- I’m Not Saying She’s A Gold Digger But She’s Not Messing With…
- Ladies, Has It Been Awhile? 6 Ways to Take the ‘Edge’ Off
- Love Without A Limit: Why Women Stay In Bad Relationships
- Are They Related? Black Celebs (And Non-Black Celebs) Who Look Like They Could Be Siblings
- Where Are They Now? The Cast of “Living Single”