Katy Perry Don’t Want None; Singer Shuts Down Beyonce ‘Diss’ Rumors
Katy Perry wants the media to stop startin’ ish—although her actual words were much harsher. Yesterday, a few sites were abuzz because Katy seemed to be throwing a little shade at Beyonce when she talked about her upcoming collaboration with Rihanna on a BBC Radio show.
When Katy talked about the duet, which is barely in the works yet, she said this:
“I was telling her, you know that Eurythmics song with Aretha Franklin, Annie Lennox, ‘Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves’? That’s like the kind of song that I’d want to do instead of, like, ‘Hips Don’t Lie,’ which was still a great song by Shakira and Beyonce. I mean, not ‘Hips Don’t Lie,’ what’s that duet? ‘Beautiful Liar.’ ”
She added, “I loved it, but I definitely want to do something that is just kind of like, so iconic.”
Immediately people took their Beyonce loyalty to a new level and told Katy, essentially, don’t start nothin’ won’t be nothin,’ to which she responded:
“F*** all y’all . . . dat thinks I dissed anyone, puhlez,” she tweeted. “Get a life, cuz it’s not mine! #hoodratcominout. If ya ears are filled with wax it’s time to get a cleanse boo. Anywayz . . . (steps off box).”
I think I’m more concerned with her “hood rat” language than any potential shade, but I don’t think Katy was really trying to diss Beyonce. She just meant she wants a song that’s more classic and less cheesy, although word to the wise, Beyonce stans don’t play that.
What do you think about what Katy said? Was she trying to diss Bey?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating While Separated? You Were Asking For Trouble Adrian Wilson
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers
- Should Non-African Blacks Be Cast in African Roles?
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- MN Exclusive: Tashera Simmons on Why Therapy Was “Life Changing” For Her and DMX
- 4 DIY Home-Made Facial Masks To Rejuvenate Your Skin