Rev. Al Sharpton’s mother, Ada Sharpton, passed away early this morning after suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia for several years.
Ada Sharpton was 87 years old and lived in Dothan, AL. Al reportedly learned of her passing while boarding a flight to Sanford, FL, to attend a rally for Trayvon Martin this evening, and he sent a tweet to let followers know that he will still continue with his plans to fight for justice for the slain teen.
“My mother, Ada Sharpton passed in the early hours of this morning,” he tweeted. “She was my all. I hope God will give her now, PEACE. I love you, Mom.”
“I am on the flight to Florida and will move forward with our plans to protest the killing of Trayvon Martin,” he added. “My MOM would have wanted me to.”
After the rally, Al will fly to Alabama to make plans for his mother’s funeral. Hopefully his work in Florida will comfort him at the time of this sad news.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating While Separated? You Were Asking For Trouble Adrian Wilson
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers
- Should Non-African Blacks Be Cast in African Roles?
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- MN Exclusive: Tashera Simmons on Why Therapy Was “Life Changing” For Her and DMX
- 4 DIY Home-Made Facial Masks To Rejuvenate Your Skin